The HaBS Faculty Research Office is dedicated to supporting our staff and students to achieve their full potential in research. We provide staff and students in the Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences with relevant and current information on funding opportunities; support and feedback in grant application development; support with budgets, contracts and IP matters; and support in all aspects of research development and research excellence.
Research grant support
The team is available all year round to provide assistance and support for all aspects of grant applications, including interpreting eligibility rules, scoping the project, preparing the application, budgeting, contractual and IP matters, submissions, rejoinders and project planning.
- Grant readership program in February and March to provide detailed feedback and assistance for applications to the main ARC and NHMRC grant and fellowship rounds
- Assistance with rebuttals and rejoinders
- Grant Development Workshops, held in November, to provide feedback and support for planned grant applications in the next year’s major round
- Ad hoc assistance and advice on all other grant rounds, any time of the year
- A communication channel between Schools and individual researchers and support staff and central UQ Research and Innovation staff
Workshops and communication
- Grantober provides a coordinated series of workshops throughout October, on all aspects of ARC and NHMRC grant development and writing, including writing style, budgeting, use of research performance metrics and more
- Other workshops throughout the year include introduction to postdoctoral fellowships, data management and other topics as the need arises
- The weekly HaBS Research Update keeps academic staff up to date with research news and opportunities
- We also provide ad hoc support and a support network for School and Centre research and RHD administrative staff
Budgets, commercialisation, contracts and IP
- Sharon Doyle and Sharon York can provide assistance and advice in all aspects of research budget preparation and expenditure
- Sharon York is the Faculty’s point of contact for all commercialisation matters, advice on IP and copyright matters, and research contracts with commercial and not-for-profit partners
Advocacy and recognition
- Christina Lee represents the Faculty at UQ Research Committee and UQ RHD Committee, reports back to Faculty committees and advocates for Faculty views on proposed changes to policy or practice
- Christina also sits on a number of working parties and subcommittees of these UQ committees, including scholarship, grant and award selection committees and policy development working parties
- The Faculty Research Office team organises the annual HaBS Faculty Research and Innovation Awards, at which our research achievements are celebrated
The Faculty Research Office supports the Faculty Research Committee and Faculty Research Higher Degree Committee. Both committees have representation from across the entire Faculty, and are chaired by the Associate Dean (Research).
These are the main way in which Faculty staff contribute to University policy and practice, and are informed about relevant activities and policy changes. These committees also contribute to relevant Faculty policies and practices, provide a forum for intra-Faculty discussion of local issues, and provide ratings and rankings for internal research grants, awards and prizes.
We are also supported by many senior researchers across the Faculty, who are generous with their time for grant readership, workshop presentations and other support and mentorship throughout the year.